Job title: emphasize the formal title of the position as a header.
Job purpose: a brief description of the overall goals and general nature of the position. This can be an overview of why the job exists and what the role is expected to accomplish. The job purpose is usually a summary and not more than four sentences long.
Accounts Payable Clerk Job Responsibilities:
- Completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices.
- Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances.
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries.
- Pays vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, verifying federal id numbers, scheduling and preparing checks, and resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation.
- Ensures credit is received for outstanding memos.
- Issues stop-payments or purchase order amendments.
- Pays employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests for advances; preparing checks.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions.
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions.
- Maintains historical records by microfilming and filing documents.
- Disburses petty cash by recording entry and verifying documentation.
- Reports sales taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices.
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities.
- Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
Reports to: specify the role/title of the position that the person that gets the job reports to.
Duties and responsibilities: list the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and provide examples of core activities under each heading.
Qualifications: provide the minimum qualifications required to perform the job successfully, for these categories:
- Professional Certification;
- Specialized knowledge;
- Other qualities such as personal characteristics.
Working conditions: provide whether a person has to work in special circumstances, such as shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, etc.
Work Hours & Benefits
Here is where you’ll want to include details about the working hours and benefits specific to your open position. This is another chance to sell potential clerks on things like telecommuting, work-from-home options, or additional requirements during tax season. Benefits that can set your firm apart, like paid vacation time, conference sponsorships, or childcare reimbursements can also go right here.
Physical requirements: describe whether the job is physically demanding, for example, lifting heavy objects on a regular basis, if standing for extended periods of time is needed or the job contains mostly repetitive tasks, or if traveling is demanding, lunch breaks are uncommon, and so forth.
Accounts Payable Clerk Qualifications / Skills:
- Tracking budget expenses
- Attention to detail
- Analyzing information
- Vendor relationships
- PC proficiency
- Data entry skills
- General math skills
Direct reports: specify by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
Approved by: specify who gives the authorization to approve the job description draft.
Date approved: the date upon which the job description was approved.
Reviewed: date the job description was last reviewed.
Contact details: include relevant contact details at the bottom of the job description.
Additional conditions: additionally, you might consider adding the following:
- Opportunities occur to work on a self-employed, consultancy basis - usually on short-term contract work;
- Describe any kind of training is provided during the onboarding procedure;
- Alternative common names for the job title;
- You may specify common daily equipment or tools used;
- Possibility to work from home.
Ideally, a job description should be reviewed annually and updated as often as necessary. Having a ready-made sample job description will save you and your Human Resources or Recruitment Department time, cost, and effort!
Accounts Payable job description
For that reason, download this sample job description now in order to find and recruit the right candidate for your vacancy or check out other job description samples
Also interested in other Job description templates? Browse through our database and get instant access to hundreds of free and premium Job descriptions or other HR documents, HR forms, and more to make you more effective and efficient.