This Substitute Teacher Job Description has ways to grab its audience’s attention. It is crafted by HR professionals, intelligently structured and easy to navigate, and provides the major categories that you should include. For example:
Job title: the formal title of the position;
Reports to: the title of the position that the job incumbent reports to
Job purpose: a brief description of the general nature of the position; an overview of why the job exists; and what the role is expected to accomplish. The job purpose is usually not more than four sentences long. Often, they need a friendly and competent professional with an interest in education, then we’re interested in you. Your duties will include assigning homework, managing classroom activities, and compiling reports.
To excel in this role, you should have in-depth knowledge of effective teaching practices that ensure learning is a comfortable and meaningful experience. Our ideal candidate has the excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, with a strong command of the English language.
Duties and responsibilities:
list the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and then give examples of the types of activities under each heading. Substitute Teacher Job Responsibilities:
- Contributes to student learning, growth, and advancement.
- Demonstrates familiarity with multiple subject area(s) and displays an inclination for developing competency across the curriculum.
- Maintains a positive mindset toward student learning, teaching practice, and personal/collective professional development.
- Demonstrates a high degree of self-efficacy and holds themselves accountable for learner outcomes and advocates for their students.
- Works efficiently within existing learning structures and believes in the capability of their students to excel.
- Facilitates problem-solving.
- Serves as a role model to students.
- Invests in the learners’ well-being, health, and safety.
- Demonstrates ability to learn and convey a variety of subject matters quickly, while adhering to school processes and protocols.
Qualifications: state the minimum qualifications required to perform the job successfully, and include:
Example Substitute Teacher Qualifications/Skills:
- Professional Certification
- Specialized knowledge
- Other qualities such as personal characteristics
Example Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Knowledge of instructional methods appropriate for students at the respective grade level
- Desire and ability to work with students at the specified age level with diverse backgrounds and levels of ability toward accomplishing their educational goals
- Ability to organize tasks and manage time to meet many and varied deadlines; manage small and large groups of students in a classroom environment; and communicate effectively with students, including on potentially sensitive topics
- Working familiarity with assistive technologies; internet and email systems; and word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software
- Familiarity with computers (PC and Apple) and their use in instruction to enhance student learning
- Working knowledge of various office and video equipment
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, preferably in Education or related field
- Recent teaching experience or other activity in area of primary instruction
- Demonstrated knowledge of current instructional strategies preferred
- Previous experience teaching is a plus
- Teaching credentials are a major plus
Working conditions: state whether a person has to work in special circumstances, such as shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, etc.
Physical requirements: state whether the job is physically demanding like one is required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, do repetitive tasks with few breaks, and so forth.
Direct reports: list by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
Approved by: signature of the person with the authority to approve the job description
Date approved: the date upon which the job description was approved
Reviewed: date the job description was last reviewed
Ideally, a job description should be reviewed annually and updated as often as necessary. Having a ready-made sample job description will save you and your Human Resources or Recruitment Department time, cost, and effort!
This job description template provides a sample that simplifies the process for the positions that you need to fill in. For that reason, download this sample job description now to reach the next level of success in your recruiting process to find the right candidate!
Also interested in other Job description templates? Browse through our database and get instant access to hundreds of free and premium Job descriptions or other HR documents, HR forms, and more to make you more effective and efficient.