Job title: the formal title of the position;
Reports to: the title of the position that the job incumbent reports to
Job purpose: a brief description of the general nature of the position; an overview of why the job exists; and what the role is expected to accomplish. The job purpose is usually not more than four sentences long.
Duties and responsibilities: list the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and then give examples of the types of activities under each heading.
Qualifications: state the minimum qualifications required to perform the job successfully, and include:
- Professional Certification
- Specialized knowledge
- Other qualities such as personal characteristics
- Greet and escort customers to their tables
- Present menu and provide detailed information when asked (e.g. about portions, ingredients or potential food allergies)
- Prepare tables by setting up linens, silverware, and glasses
- Inform customers about the day’s specials
- Offer menu recommendations upon request
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate
- Take accurate food and drinks orders, using a POS ordering software, order slips, or by memorization
- Check customers’ IDs to ensure they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages
- Communicate order details to the Kitchen Staff
- Serve food and drink orders
- Check dishes and kitchenware for cleanliness and presentation and report any problems
- Arrange table settings and maintain a tidy dining area
- Deliver checks and collect bill payments
- Carry dirty plates, glasses, and silverware to kitchen for cleaning
- Meet with restaurant staff to review daily specials, changes on the menu, and service specifications for reservations (e.g. parties)
- Follow all relevant health department regulations
- Provide excellent customer service to guests
- Proven work experience as a Waiter or Waitress
- Hands-on experience with cash register and ordering information system (e.g. Revel POS or Toast POS)
- Basic math skills
- Attentiveness and patience for customers
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills, with the ability to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Active listening and effective communication skills
- Team spirit
- Flexibility to work in shifts
- High school diploma; food safety training is a plus
Working conditions: state whether a person has to work in special circumstances, such as shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, etc.
Physical requirements: state whether the job is physically demanding like one is required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, do repetitive tasks with few breaks, and so forth.
Direct reports: list by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
Approved by: signature of the person with the authority to approve the job description
Date approved: the date upon which the job description was approved
Reviewed: date the job description was last reviewed
Ideally, a job description should be reviewed annually and updated as often as necessary. Having a ready-made sample job description will save you and your Human Resources or Recruitment Department time, cost, and effort!
For that reason, download this sample job description now to reach the next level of success in your recruiting process to find the right candidate!
Also interested in other Job description templates? Browse through our database and get instant access to hundreds of free and premium Job descriptions or other HR documents, HR forms, and more to make you more effective and efficient.