How to make a Cornell note template on Google Docs? Are you searching for a Cornell Note template that can be used with Google Docs? Our sample template is a great way to organize and structure your notes. It helps you easily review your notes and keep track of important ideas. Download this template now which can be used to plan an essay or project.
Cornell Notes is a widely used note-taking system that was developed by Walter Pauk at Cornell University in the 1940s. It is designed to help students organize and review their class or lecture notes in a structured and efficient way. The Cornell Notes system consists of a specific format for taking notes that includes three main sections:
- Note-Taking Area: This is the largest section and is used to record the main ideas and details from the lecture or reading. You should write your notes in a concise and organized manner, using your own words to summarize key points.
- Cue Column: This narrow column is typically located on the left side of the page and is used to jot down cues or questions that will help you review and recall the material later. These cues are often in the form of questions, keywords, or prompts that relate to the content in the Note-Taking Area.
- Summary Area: At the bottom of the page, there is a section where you can write a summary of the main points and key takeaways from your notes. This summary should be a brief and coherent overview of the material, helping you to review the most important information quickly.
The Cornell Notes system encourages active engagement with the material, as it requires you to think about what you're learning and how to condense and summarize it effectively. It's a useful method for students, especially for studying and reviewing, as the Cue Column and Summary Area make it easy to identify key points and test your understanding.
To use Cornell Notes effectively, you can follow these steps:
- Create a template on a piece of paper or in a notebook, with the three sections clearly defined.
- During a lecture or while reading, take notes in the Note-Taking Area.
- Use the Cue Column to write down questions or cues that relate to the content you've noted.
- After the lecture or reading, use the cues in the Cue Column to quiz yourself or review the material.
- Write a summary in the Summary Area to reinforce your understanding of the main points.
The Cornell Notes system can be a valuable tool for students to improve their note-taking and study skills. It helps in organizing information, actively engaging with the material, and facilitating effective review and study sessions.
How to make a Cornell note template on Google Docs?
- Open Google Docs: Go to the Google Docs website (docs.google.com) and log in to your Google account if you're not already logged in.
- Create a New Document: Click the "+ Blank" button to create a new, blank document.
- Set Up the Page Layout:
- Click on "File" in the top left corner.
- Select "Page setup."
- In the Page Setup dialog, set the page orientation to "Portrait" or "Landscape," depending on your preference.
- Adjust the page size as needed. For a traditional Cornell Note layout, you might choose "Letter" (8.5 x 11 inches).
- Set the margins. Traditional Cornell Notes often use a 1-inch left margin and a 2.5-inch right margin.
- Create the Title and Heading:
- Type the title of your notes at the top of the document. This is typically the title of the lecture, class, or topic.
- Below the title, create a two-line heading section:
- The top line is for "Notes" or "Key Points."
- The bottom line is for the date, class, or source information.
- Divide the Page into Sections:
- Use tables to divide your document into the three main sections: the note-taking section, the cue column, and the summary section.
- Click "Table" in the top menu, then choose the number of rows and columns you want for your table.
- For a standard Cornell Note layout, you would typically use a table with two columns.
- Adjust the column widths to allocate space for each section. The main note-taking section should be the widest.
- Label the Sections:
- In the top row of the table, label the left column "Notes" or "Key Points" and the right column "Cues."
- Label the bottom section as "Summary."
- Save as a Template:
- Once you have created the Cornell Note template to your satisfaction, click on "File" and select "Save as template..."
- Give your template a name, and it will be saved in your Google Docs Template gallery for future use.
Now, you have a Cornell Note template in Google Docs that you can use for taking organized notes in a structured format. You can create new documents based on this template whenever you need to take Cornell-style notes.
Click on 'Open with Google Docs' or download this Cornell Notes template directly to your hard drive and modify according to your personal style. Your success in delivering a well-structured and effective notes awaits.