What should I write in a scholarship thank you letter?
You were awarded a scholarship because your personal qualities and academic abilities stood above all other applicants. Sending a typed thank you letter confirms that this scholarship was important enough for you to take the time to present yourself in a professional manner.
Great talent or deserves to be awarded a sponsorship! If you want to send a proper Thank You Note to the donor, we recommend you to check out this Scholarship Thank You Letter Sample
. Once you are selected by a University or Institution for a scholarship, this means the recipient will be eligible for receiving a monetary gift from an individual, corporation, or family. It’s common practice that you respond swiftly with a thank you letter.
In such a letter, you will thank the donor(s) that are investing in your education. Finding the words to express your gratitude to a donor can sometimes be challenging or intimidating, but it is important to let the donor know that his or her scholarship is greatly appreciated. You must write one letter for each scholarship you receive.
- Funds may with withheld or canceled if you do not submit your thank you letter(s) in a timely manner.
- Make sure the letter is free of both grammatical and spelling errors. Double-check for typos.
- Write clearly and concisely.
- Be sincere and express enthusiasm.
- Send it in typewritten in a business format including all of the elements of a letter: your name, date, salutation, body, closing, and a handwritten signature or digital image of it.
- One page is appropriate.
- Tell the donor a bit about yourself. Things you may include are your hometown, high school, family background, why you chose to attend College.
- Talk about your experiences at College. What year are you in? What is your major? When are you expecting to graduate? What are your career goals?
- Express your gratitude for the scholarship and how it is going to help you. Do not tell the donor how you are going to use the money unless you know what the scholarship covers. (Example: You have a tuition-only scholarship, and you tell them you are going to use the money to buy books).
- Send the letter typewritten in business format.
- Use quality paper.
Example Thank You Letter for Scholarships
[Mr./Mrs. First and Last Name of Donor or Name of Organization]
Dear Donor Name or Organization Name,
First Paragraph: State the purpose of your letter.
For example: I am writing to thank you for your generous [Name of Scholarship] scholarship. I was very happy and appreciative to learn that I was selected as the recipient of your scholarship.
Second Paragraph: Share a little about yourself and indicate why the scholarship is important. For example: I am a Business major with an emphasis in accounting. I plan to attend [Name of University] upon graduating from Snow College to pursue a career as a CPA. I am currently a freshman carrying 17 credits, and plan to graduate in the spring of 2015. Thanks to you, I am one step closer to that goal.
Third Paragraph: Close by thanking the person again and make a commitment to do well with the “donor’s investment.” For example: By awarding me the [Name of scholarship], you have lightened my financial burden which allows me to focus more on the most important aspect of school, learning. Your generosity has inspired me to help others and give back to the community. I hope one day I will be able to help students achieve their goals just as you have helped me.
This sample letter will help you compose your own thank you letter in a professional business format. Please use your own words and make this letter original and unique to you. After downloading and filling in the blanks, you can easily customize e.g. style, typography, details, and appearance of your Thank you note.
Download this Scholarship Thank You Letter Format now and Thank the donor organization today!