How to write a professional apology letter?
A good business apology should:
- have the correct timing. It is best to apologize as fast as you can, but no need to be impulsive. You need to prepare what to say.
- Wisely chosen means of communication. There are many ways to apologize: you can apologize in person, over the phone, or write an apology letter. Having eye contact is a good thing since apologies are personal; however, if a person was deeply hurt, a letter might be a better way.
- Explanation without excuses. After apologizing you can shortly explain why this happened, but be careful not to start making excuses. This would be impolite.
- “The customer is always right” principle. Whenever you need to apologize to the customer or business partner, you need to think about this principle. Most of the time it is better to accept all the blame.
- A quick explanation of what you will do not to let this happen again.
Consider the following:
- Is it easier for you to apologize in person or via other means of communication?
- Do you tend to give many excuses to explain your actions or the situation?
- There is a saying that goes “The more excuses you give, the guiltier you seem”.
- Do you think it’s true? Why or why not?
- If a customer or a business partner said that he has lost his trust in your company, what would you do or say?
Suggestions to take into consideration when sending an apology letter to your client:
- Address your client directly
- Add a personal touch to this template;
- Literally, say sorry and apologize;
- Summarize the problem, explain those appropriately and by using the right words;
- Empathize more on the solution and let them know that suggestions are welcome;
- Express your apologies, ask them to respond back with any suggestions.
- Make sure you make your client feel that you completely understand their situation.
- Let them know what are your further plans, also list down few solution options the company has thought of.
- Tell the client to choose from those options or suggest a new one.
- Say thank you at the end and treat them as they are the king.
- After completing, read the letter, understand, and make sure you must have liked it if you were the client.
Using our Professional Apology Letter templates guarantees you will save time and provide the right inspiration to make the perfect personalized apology letter for your situation.
Fast, safe, and easy! Download this apology letter template now in order to help you to send proper apologies to your clients!