When you are writing a letter of sympathy, or condolence, should be written and sent promptly after the person passed away. A good guideline is within the first two weeks following the loss.
Handwrite the letter on stationery rather than typing and printing from a computer. If you want to use a store-bought card, write a personal note on stationery and tuck it inside the card.
Write the letter in your own style, as if you are saying it, and make sure to give meaning the way you would normally speak to the person.
There is no reason to get too fancy and try to come up with a poem or verse unless that is how you normally speak (which could be weird) or unless you’re a writer by profession.
Sample content for your personalized Thank You cards for the Funeral:
Dear Friends and Co-workers,
You have been a pillar of strength for my grandmother, my parents, me, and my entire family. We greatly appreciated that you were there for Grandpa at the hospital during his illness, and for surrounding our family with your love during his funeral. Thank you so much for dedicating a memorial bench and plaque for my grandfather at his favorite park. I’m sure he is in Heaven smiling down at you this very moment! You were his nearest and dearest friend, and he cherished the lifetime of memories the two of you shared.
With love and warmth,
Consider the following components when you are drafting your condolence message:
- Acknowledge the loss and refer to the deceased by name;
- Express your sympathy;
- Note any special qualities of the deceased that come to mind;
- Include your favorite memory of the deceased;
- Remind the bereaved of their personal strengths or special qualities;
- Offer help, but make sure it is a specific offer;
- End the letter with a thoughtful word, a hope, a wish, or expression of sympathy e.g. "You are in my thoughts" or “Wishing you God’s peace.”
- Closing such as „Sincerely,” „love,” or „fondly,” isn’t quite as personal.
If you are looking for some inspiration when drafting your own letter, make sure to have a look at these Thank You cards for the Funeral template now.
Our condolences for your loss.