What is Kakeibo? How to create a Kakeibo Financial Budget to keep track of income and expenses for your household?
Every day brings new activities and costs, and it's easy to lose track of what we are spending. Many of our day-to-day income and expenses are common and predictable. By gaining more financial insight, you might end up having some money left at the end of the month. The Kakeibo Journal (Pronounced ‘kah-keh-boh’) is a traditional Japanese method for your finances to help you keep track of your spending and saving goals to keep you motivated in your mission. Kakeibo was first popularised by Motoko Hani, Japan’s first female journalist, back in 1904. Kakeibo: The Japanese Art Of Saving Money is the first of its kind to be published in the English language, and a popular way to save money.
How does Kakeibo work?
The premise is simple: at the beginning of the month you think mindfully about how much money you would like to save, and what you need to do to achieve that goal, and keep track during the month.
The Kakeibo method consists of six steps:
- Check what comes in per month in income
- Check what your fixed costs are: rent, gas/light, etc.
- What is your target? Determine how much you want to set aside to reach your target
- Subtract your 2 and 3 from 1 and divide it by 4. What you are left with is what you will spend each week on food, gifts, etc.
- Fill in your spending as you go along, keep the target in mind.
- At the end of the month tally up your daily/weekly totals and check whether it has been successful and what your areas for improvement are if it has not been successful.
We provide this standardized Kakeibo Budget Worksheet template as an MS Excel XLSX template with content and formatting as a starting point to help you plan your finance for the household in a simple way that will work well. If you are looking for ways to improve your savings, this ready-made budget template can help you to save time and money and to learn how to improve your situation by focusing on expenses.
Looking to overhaul your home finances? Using this Kakeibo template guarantees you will save time, cost, and effort! It comes in Microsoft Office format, is ready to be tailored to your personal needs. Completing your home budget has never been easier. An easy way to start managing your household finance is using this Budget Excel template now.
Download this Kakeibo Budget template and start direct improvement on your savings by using this XLS Budget template now for your own benefit!