Job title: the formal title of the position for a talented and motivated IT Support Assistant. As the IT Support, you will act as a liaison between technical and non-technical people within the firm. Candidates for this position must have strong customer service and communication skills, both written and oral.
Reports to: the title of the position that the job incumbent reports to
Job purpose: a brief description of the general nature of the position; an overview of why the job exists; and what the role is expected to accomplish. The job purpose is usually not more than four sentences long. The position's primary focus may be in the areas of computer operations, user, and desktop support (hardware and software), helpdesk, and data management. Performs a variety of moderately complex information technology support duties to ensure smooth delivery of technology services. Monitors operate or coordinates and assists others in the operation of computer hardware, software, and peripherals to achieve desired results. Utilizes computer equipment, software, and diagnostic tools to perform a broad range of customer assistance, production job processing, equipment maintenance and repair, and computer operations assignments. Requires minimum supervision and may act as the lead when the need arises. Updates supervisor on status of projects or technical issues. Exercises judgment and creativity in selecting and applying procedures correctly and determines when to refer problems to the supervisor or next level of support. May provide information to students, staff, faculty or public on established policies and procedures, or services provided.
Duties and responsibilities: list the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and then give examples of the types of activities under each heading.
1. Provides assistance in the use of personal computer hardware, software, and specialized mainframe technology or operates a multi-platform computer environment or monitors the production scheduling, execution, and successful completion of production jobs;
2. Sets up and configures desktop computers, peripherals and accounts assigning security level;
3. Installs software and installs and repairs hardware and peripherals;
4. Tests programs;
5. Troubleshoots, diagnoses problems, implements corrective action procedures within prescribed guidelines and/or escalates to other technical resources as appropriate;
6. Maintains systems, databases and web pages;
7. Administers user accounts;
8. Designs and produces basic reports;
9. Sets up and submits production jobs and edits and debugs computer output;
10. Transfers computer files between platforms;
11. Provides basic troubleshooting, repair and maintenance for computer equipment (e.g. microcomputers, disk drives, and laser printers) and may assist with testing personal computers and peripherals on a network to diagnose, hardware versus software problems;
12. Acts as a customer liaison for the computing operation, communicating, resolving, and/or initiating the resolution of problems and concerns;
13. Arranges for distribution of output to customer;
14. Maintains records;
15. Contributes to unit goals by accomplishing related duties as required.
Qualifications: state the minimum qualifications required to perform the job successfully, and include:
- Professional Certification
- Specialized knowledge
- Other qualities such as personal characteristics
- Excellent organizational skills are a must for this fast-paced, high-visibility location. The successful candidate must possess excellent leadership qualities, with the ability to maximize the talents of their team.
Working conditions: state whether a person has to work in special circumstances, such as shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, etc.
Physical requirements: state whether the job is physically demanding like one is required to stand for extended periods of time, lift heavy objects on a regular basis, do repetitive tasks with few breaks, and so forth.
Direct reports: list by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
Approved by: signature of the person with the authority to approve the job description
Date approved: the date upon which the job description was approved
Reviewed: date the job description was last reviewed
Ideally, a job description should be reviewed annually and updated as often as necessary. Having a ready-made sample job description will save you and your Human Resources or Recruitment Department time, cost, and effort!
Also interested in other Job description templates? Browse through our database and have instant access to hundreds of free and premium Job descriptions or other HR documents, HR forms, etc to make you more effective and efficient.