How do you release liability on a car?
This Department of Motorcycle Vehicles (DMV) Release of Liability is relevant when you just sold your vehicle? If so, it's important to complete a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (NRL) to let DMV knows that you are no longer responsible for parking/traffic violations or civil or criminal actions associated with the vehicle after the date of sale.
Before you begin to fill out your DMV Release of Liability, make sure:
- you will need the new owner’s name and address;
- have the license plate number and last five digits of the vehicle identification number (VIN) handy.
- have the vehicle odometer reading as of the sale or transfer date.
- be prepared to print the confirmation you receive after submitting the NRL (if you wish to keep a copy for your own records).
Also, look into the DMV Statement of Facts is a complex form, with a couple of sections, like:
- Statement of use tax exemption. the filer must designate the reasons why this transfer is exempt from the use tax, (for example transfer between family members, gift, court order, inheritance);
- Statement for smog exemption. state why the motorcycle vehicle doesn't require smog certification.
- Statement for transfer only or title only. If a car has not been used or parked the owner can apply for: title only or transfer only;
- Window decal for wheelchair carrier or wheelchair lift. Individuals with Disabled Person License Plate, or a Disabled Veteran License Plate, or a Permanent Disabled Person Parking Placard, can apply for a window decal for their vehicle;
- Vehicle body change statement. The vehicle's unladen weight, motive power, body type, or number of axles, must report it by completing this section. Ownership certificate required;
- Name statement. applying for a correction of a misspelling mistake in their name;
- Statement of facts. Applicants can use this section to make a statement that everything mentioned in this document is true and correct.
- According to the REG 256 Instructions, an applicant must fill out the first section dedicated to the vehicle description, and the appropriate section mentioned above, include:
- license plate number (or a CF number),
- vehicle (or vessel) ID number,
- year and make.
- applicant's signature.
- full name,
- daytime telephone number.
The types that a filer should complete depends on the subject of their application.