How to win in Monopoly? For all the big Monopoly fans we found this inspiring overview with best practices and strategies to win Monopoly! Download this basic overview that shows the winning strategies now.
It is all based on equal chance and calculations of how long it takes to return your investment in the various properties and houses/hotel purchases. Before we show you some calculations that were done, we give you some simple strategies on how to win the game:
- Always buy the railroad stations.
- Never buy the Utilities (or at least not at the full price).
- For every other property type, only buy them to complete a monopoly or to prevent opponents from completing one. Often this may mean buying as many properties as you can early in the game, but watch your cash reserves and do not buy too many;
- At the beginning of the game, focus on acquiring complete streets of 2 or 3 properties, in order to be the first to build houses and hotels. Even if it means trading away properties on sides;
- After you complete 2 or 3 properties and own a full street, start building up to 3 houses as quickly as possible: no more houses, no less!
- Once your first street starts to generate income, start to focus on completing another street and build again 3 houses.
- 3 houses is the optimum number in the game. By owning 3 houses, you can make the best profit and use of your limited budget.
- Single properties are the least good investment if you don’t build on them.
- The only exception to the above rules is when you need to acquire stray properties to prevent your opponents from completing their streets to accomplish the above strategy.
- Doing jail time can be good. Stay in jail as long as you can if an opponent owns a monopoly that is a point in the game that moving around will likely lead to losing the money. Until that happens, though, pay the fine and leave Jail as soon as possible: you need to be in the property acquisition race and collecting your salary as many times as possible.
- One interesting exception: Do you need Orange properties to complete your street? Then stay in Jail and try to get out by rolling doubles: doing so will increase your chances of landing on those squares by about 25%.
5 Best winning positions
The 5 best winning or starting positions are, in order from effective to less effective:
- All 4 railroads (Owning 3-4 railroad stations) are the best cash cow for continuous income to fund your monopolies.
- 3 houses on each of the Orange street.
- 3 houses on each of the light blue street.
- 3 houses on each of the light purple street.
- A hotel on each of the dark purple street (under certain conditions).
The download file 'Monopoly Math' strategy is based on the assumption that all properties are sold for the listed price. Check it out and download it now!