TREASURER JOB DESCRIPTION
The Treasurer is responsible for the management of the clubs accounts and its financial dealings.
• Prepare an Annual Budget, and be prepared to present this when required by the Board /
Committee along with a Variance Report.
• Prepare Monthly Financial Reports to be presented when required by the Board / Committee
(usually every meeting) and/or your League.
• Prepare full annual financial statements for presentation to:
- The financial auditors for the club
- The AGM of the club
- The League
- The Department of Fair Trading, or similar, in your state
• Prepare and submit Business Activity Statements if required.
• Manage the clubs cash flow and maintain a working level of petty cash.
• Be fully aware of the financial position of the club at all times and keep the Board / Committee
informed of all financial trends and any areas of concern.
• Issue receipts and promptly deposit all monies received.
• Be responsible for ensuring that adequate records are kept regarding the clubs financial
• Be a signatory on club cheques with at least one other person.
• Ensure that other club members do not handle, deposit, pay out or otherwise deal with club funds
without your knowledge.
• Invest surplus funds and manage the club’s investment program.
• Acquit funds received from government and/or council grants and submit the necessary financial
• Handle payroll and income tax for employees if necessary.
• On behalf of the Board / Committee, negotiate with financial institutions for overdrafts, loans,
mortgages and other facilities as required.
Included is this section is a comprehensive Treasurer’s Handbook, reproduced by kind permission of the
Queensland Southern Division Rugby League.