Department of Neurology
Title: Medical Assistant / Secretary
Location: Neurological Institute and Harkness Pavilion
Reports to: Office Manager and Dr. Sanda Carniciu
Perform confidential Medical Assistant duties as follows:
1. Assist physicians with patient treatment/procedures, including venipuncture.
2. Clean and maintain exam rooms, MA stations.
3. Set up patient exam rooms for daily use.
4. Coordinate patient flow with the physicians escort all patients to exam rooms.
5. Take vitals (BP, weight, height) on all patients and record vitals for all patients in
CROWN in a timely manner.
6. Assist physician in exam room with patient treatment/procedures
7. Prepare and label specimens with required data. Label all patient specimens with
name, MRN, DOB, date and physician. Record daily all outgoing specimens in
8. Generate in CROWN proper requisitions for all specimens.
9. Daily clean and disinfect all counters, sinks and exam tables in the exam rooms
and pediatrics workroom.
10. Daily remove soiled laundry and replace new laundry bags.
11. Daily stock up all exam rooms with linen, patient gowns and rolls of table paper.
12. Keep current on all medical emergency procedures.
13. Maintain sterile and non-sterile equipment and ensure adequate supply of
equipment is ready at all times for patient care.
14. Initiate Rx refills with final sign off by NP/MD.
15. Using patient intake forms enter medications, allergies, smoking status with final
verification by NP/MD.
16. Communicate any concerns about patient condition immediately to physician.
17. Print and provide patient education.
18. Assist in the event of an emergency, as directed by physician/nurse.
Perform Secretary duties as follows:
1. Check patients in and out
2. Collect and document co-pays and co insurance
3. Schedule and register patients
4. Handle physician –to-physician documentation delivery
5. Retrieve messages from phone line and respond as appropriate or communicate
with the MD.
6. Respond to all patient inquires