How do I write a letter to a higher position?
In order to get attention from your current boss, make sure you prepare an outstanding request letter with an updated CV (if necessary). Depending on your current position, and the difference with the position that you are aiming for, you might consider highlighting your previous jobs and duties you have done during your current job.
There are a handful of typical reasons for asking for a promotion and might impact your timing: Growing costs for the department, Opportunity, the value (knowledge/expertise) you bring, dissatisfaction due to heavy workload or the change of work content due to boredom.
Please make sure not to lie, there are enough witnesses in your company that can provide a different perspective on your performance. You can emphasize how you have shown you are capable and give real examples from the current job how you handled those:
- can-do attitude;
- leadership skills;
- creativity & out-of-the-box thinker;
- ability to deliver a message and communicate in a professional way;
- ability to multi-task;
- strong work ethic;
- problem-solving ability.
There are a few basic requirements to follow in order to make a successful CV:
- make sure it's a brief summary, preferably 1 A4 page in length;
- the CV is clean, error-free, and easy to read;
- structured and written to highlight your strengths;
- immediately clear about your name and the position you are seeking.
Download this sample cover letter to apply for a job at a company that you have already worked for.