What does the letter of extension for a lease mean? What is the procedure for composing a formal letter to your landlord? Download and use this template to write a letter to the lessor asking to extend your lease. Make sure to include the reason and the duration of the extension. Attach any documents or evidence you may need to support your request.
A "Formal Letter Lease Extension" is a written communication used to officially request an extension of an existing lease agreement. This type of letter is typically used in situations where a tenant wishes to continue renting a property beyond the original lease term, and both parties (tenant and landlord) are willing to negotiate and agree on the terms of the extension.
The formal letter of lease extension should include the following key elements:
- Date: The date when the letter is written.
- Tenant's Information: The full name of the tenant, contact information, and the current residential address.
- Landlord's Information: The full name of the landlord or property owner, contact information, and the property address.
- Salutation: A formal greeting addressed to the landlord or property owner.
- Introduction: A clear statement indicating the tenant's intention to extend the lease. This should include a reference to the original lease agreement, specifying the current lease's end date.
- Reasons for Extension: Briefly explain why the tenant wishes to extend the lease. Common reasons include continued satisfaction with the property, personal circumstances, or the need for more time to find a new residence.
- Proposed Extension Terms: Clearly outline the terms of the proposed lease extension, including the new lease duration (e.g., another 12 months), any changes to rent or other lease provisions, and the desired start date of the extension.
- Request for Confirmation: Request confirmation from the landlord regarding their willingness to extend the lease under the specified terms.
- Signature: Sign the letter with your full name and include your contact information.
- Closing: Use a formal closing, such as "Sincerely" or "Yours faithfully," followed by your signature.
- Enclosures: If you are including any additional documents or agreements with the letter (e.g., a formal lease extension agreement), mention them in the letter and list them as enclosures.
Sending a formal letter of lease extension allows both parties to document their mutual agreement and ensures clarity on the terms of the extended lease. It is advisable to keep a copy of the letter for your records and to maintain open communication with the landlord throughout the negotiation process. Additionally, it's important to allow sufficient time for the landlord to review and respond to the request before the current lease expires.
This renewal of lease template covers the most important subjects and will help you structure and communicate professionally with your tenant or landlord. Our trustworthy legal templates are all crafted and screened by legal professionals. The 3 step process virtually guarantees you can finish and print your renewal of lease letter in minutes!
Download our legal letter lease extension template, fill in the blanks, print ...done!