Job title: emphasize the formal title of the position as a header.
Job purpose: a brief description of the overall goals and general nature of the position. This can be an overview of why the job exists and what the role is expected to accomplish. The job purpose is usually a summary and not more than four sentences long.
Reports to: specify the role/title of the position that the person that gets the job reports to.
Duties and responsibilities: list the primary job duties and responsibilities using headings and provide examples of core activities under each heading.
- Collect appropriate and accurate information required to assess potential clients and decide on the acceptable risk for a policy.
- Review policy applications based on the previous loss records, age, medical report, credit ratings and driving records.
- Prepare reports that detail risk assessment findings that contribute to the final decision.
- Compare various policies having similar risk undertaking and conduct actuarial studies to decide on the company’s loss records.
- Evaluate policies with regards to the company’s underwriting standards.
- Make a decision to accept, modify or reject an insurance application after scrutiny of all the required documents and studies regarding the risk involved.
- Analyze statistical data using specialized computer programs.
- Write quotes, determine premiums and coverage, and negotiate terms with brokers and clients.
- Carefully select the wording of policies, and prepare the terms and conditions.
- Handle queries from credit control departments, brokers and clients.
Qualifications: provide the minimum qualifications required to perform the job successfully, for these categories:
- Professional Certification;
- Specialized knowledge;
- Other qualities such as personal characteristics.
Working conditions: provide whether a person has to work in special circumstances, such as shift work, working outdoors, working with challenging clients, etc.
Physical requirements: describe whether the job is physically demanding, for example, lifting heavy objects on a regular basis, if standing for extended periods of time is needed or the job contains mostly repetitive tasks, or if traveling is demanding, lunch breaks are uncommon, and so forth.
- Degree in finance or business administration (essential).
- 2 years of experience as an Underwriter (essential).
- Analytical thinker with research proficiencies.
- Ability to use reasonable and sound judgment.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Thorough knowledge of databases and tracking systems.
- Solid organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Brilliant IT, math and statistical skills.
- Deep knowledge of underwriting regulations.
- Ability to build positive relationships and partnerships with clients, brokers and key role-players.
Direct reports: specify by job title any positions to be supervised by the incumbent.
Approved by: specify who gives the authorization to approve the job description draft.
Date approved: the date upon which the job description was approved.
Reviewed: date the job description was last reviewed.
Contact details: include relevant contact details at the bottom of the job description.
Additional conditions: additionally, you might consider adding the following:
- Opportunities occur to work on a self-employed, consultancy basis - usually on short-term contract work;
- Describe any kind of training is provided during the onboarding procedure;
- Alternative common names for the job title;
- You may specify common daily equipment or tools used;
- Possibility to work from home.
Ideally, a job description should be reviewed annually and updated as often as necessary. Having a ready-made sample job description will save you and your Human Resources or Recruitment Department time, cost, and effort! For that reason, download this sample job description now in order to find and recruit the right candidate for your vacancy or check out other job description samples here.
Also interested in other Job description templates? Browse through our database and get instant access to hundreds of free and premium Job descriptions or other HR documents, HR forms, and more to make you more effective and efficient.